Cosmetic dental procedures improve the appearance of your teeth and smile. While they are usually elective or not necessary for dental health, they can sometimes help restore your teeth’s functions. Most of all, they can significantly improve the way you look and feel about yourself.
The first step in finding the correct cosmetic dental procedure for you is to consult with a qualified and experienced dentist, such as these My Dental Home dentists. They can assess your individual needs and recommend the best course of treatment. They may also suggest a combination of treatments to achieve your desired results.
Most Popular Cosmetic Dental Procedures
Three of the most common cosmetic dental procedures include:
1. Teeth Whitening
Teeth whitening is one of the most popular and affordable ways to improve your smile. Depending on your preference and budget, this can be done in a dental office or at home.
If you have stained and discolored teeth, your confidence may be affected. You may feel self-conscious about smiling or talking to people. Teeth whitening can help you regain confidence by brightening your teeth and smiling.
There are two major methods of teeth whitening, such as:
- In-office teeth whitening. This is performed by a dentist or another dental professional in a dental office. While this is the most expensive method, this is the most popular and effective since dentists use higher concentrations of bleaching agents. The procedure usually takes 45 minutes to an hour, depending on the severity of your teeth stains and discolorations.
- At-home teeth whitening. This method uses bleaching agents that are available in lower concentrations than what is used in dental offices. You can use at-home teeth whitening kits or strips to achieve your desired results. But it may take longer to see results since the bleaching agents are not as strong. Other types are whitening toothpaste, rinses, and gels.
If you plan on getting dental implants, you must whiten your teeth first because artificial teeth don’t respond to whitening treatments. Visit https://mydentalhome.com/dental-implants/ to know more about dental implants.
2. Dental Veneers
These dental appliances are very thin shells of tooth-colored materials that are custom-made to fit over the front surfaces of your teeth. They can be used to treat a variety of dental problems, such as:
- Discolored teeth
- Worn down teeth
- Chipped or broken teeth
- Misaligned, uneven, or irregularly shaped teeth
- Gaps between teeth
Dental veneers are usually made of porcelain or ceramic. They are stain-resistant and can give you a natural-looking smile, lasting up to 30 years if you take care of them properly. The entire treatment takes about two weeks to complete, and you may need two or more dental visits.
3. Dental Bonding
Dental bonding is when a tooth-colored resin material is applied to your teeth and then hardened with a special light. This can improve the appearance of your teeth by:
- Filling in gaps between teeth
- Repairing chipped, cracked, or broken teeth
- Covering up stained or discolored teeth
- Changing the shape of your teeth
- Protecting exposed roots of your teeth from damage due to decay
The procedure takes about 30 to 60 minutes, and you may only need one dental visit. However, the results are not as long-lasting as other cosmetic dental procedures since the bonding material is not as strong. It can last for up to 8 years with proper care.
Cosmetic dental procedures can help improve the appearance of your teeth and smile. The most popular procedures include teeth whitening, dental veneers, and dental bonding. It’s essential to consult with a qualified dentist before getting any treatment to ensure that it’s the right one for you, such as this cosmetic dentistry Markham clinic.